Tuesday, April 26, 2011

An Encounter with a Dangerous Snake

“That sounds like Gadget’s ‘snake’ growl,” I thought. I was just completing a task in the courtyard and he growled again. “I am sure he is only playing with Havoc, the new tenant’s dog.” I said to myself, not altogether convinced. As I walked into the kitchen I saw Gadget at the bottom end of the garden where he was, in fact, busy with a snake.
Boomslang which bit Gadget
In less time than a deep breath would take I was at their side, hoping to save the snake. The snake was alive but I stopped short in my tracks and called Gadget off. On the grass was a snake one and a half meters in length, unfortunately it had been bitten on the back by Gadget. It was beautiful specimen of a healthy adult Boomslang (Dispholidus typus).


I had previously witnessed how Gadget dispenses of dangerous snakes and was therefore not too concerned about him. I picked the snake up, hoping that I could save it but alas there was too much damage. On a previous occasion I watched as Gadget was confronted by a Rinkhals or Ring-necked Spitting Cobra (Hemachatus haemachatus) and after some intense concentration he managed to out-manoeuvre the snake and bit it in the neck from behind, killing it. He has alerted me to a number of other snakes in the garden which I had been able to guide to safety or catch and set free.
A Boomslang is one of the most poisonous of our snakes but fortunately also one of the most timid snakes and will only bite when threatened. Its venom is highly potent, which it by means of large fangs that are located in the rear of the jaw. The venom of the Boomslang is primarily a hemotoxin. It disables the blood clotting process and the victim may well die as a result of internal and external bleeding.
Head of the Boomslang
 After photographing the snake I placed it in a tree, thinking that it may survive but alas the injury was too severe. Gadget seemed fine and I thought; “all’s well, that ends well.”

The following day I noticed some blood on Gadget’s chest but because he was still alert and active, I assumed that it was possibly residue from his encounter with the snake. A little while later it became evident that the blood was more than residue, as, the more he tried to clean it, the worse it became. I noticed that he was bleeding from his chin and the reality of the situation struck me like a sledge hammer, Gadget had been bitten and envenomed by the Boomslang.

I phoned the nearest animal medical facility which is the SPCA looking for anti-venom serum and was told that the soonest they could acquire some was in 48 hours. Next I called our local snake handler and collector who told me the same. Although he was more humane about my next course of action the end result of his suggestion was the same. The SPCA spokesperson suggested a bullet and the snake handler suggested euthanasia. Although I knew that if I was going to not let my dog suffer, there were no other options.
Gadget


It has always been said that we allow our animals to become too much part of us and although Gadget had been near death on a number of occasions from physical injuries, I always knew he would get better. The stark reality of the situation started to manifest itself; that life would have to go on without my companion, friend and confidant. The past ten years’ experiences with Gadget flitted through my mind as I recalled his first day on the beach, the excitement he displayed when he visited the sites with me in the rural areas and the evenings we spent next to campfires before going to sleep in the tent. He was like the son I never had.
When I phoned the vet, Gadget had started bleeding from the old scars on his body and while I was on the phone blood started seeping through the skin on his rump and his back. He still seemed unperturbed by the fact that he was bleeding to death and probably having internal bleeding as well by now. I stayed with Gadget all afternoon and by 11:30pm there was blood oozing from his eyes, tongue and insides of his ears. There was, as yet, no swelling which would normally be present as another symptom of hemotoxic poison. He was in obvious distress and his temperature was up as he lay on his cushion looking at me with total trust. At around 01:00 the bleeding appeared to abate slightly and I carried Gadget upstairs and put him in his bed next to mine.
At around six I fell asleep with Gadget sleeping peacefully in his bed. When I awoke an hour later he was no longer there. He was outside and, although obviously weak and somewhat disoriented, appeared brighter than earlier. I watched him and was relieved to see that his bowel and bladder functions were unimpeded and that there was no sign of blood in his excretion. Still I never let him out of my sight and when I phoned a disbelieving vet three hours later, he was much brighter. The vet advised Vit D and Vit B complex as a tonic.
Since I have been following a holistic approach on feeding and medication for my animals I quickly searched for the best natural sources of those vitamins. Since it was a lovely warm sunny day, I firstly made sure that Gadget was comfortable in the sun, (vitamin D), whilst I rummaged around the kitchen and found a Yeast and vegetable extract sandwich spread, high in various vitamin B components as well as other safe ingredients. I started giving Gadget a half a teaspoon of the extract every three to four hours as well as a half a cup of milk twice a day, (vitamin D).
Three Happy, healthy dogs



Today, five days after he was bitten by the Boomslang, Gadget went for his normal daily walk with the other dogs and his behaviour, when taken off his lead was no different to what it has been over the past six years.


Active Search Results






No comments:

Post a Comment